Friday, October 30, 2009

Best Fall Roast Chicken EVER

I didn't take pics tonight but I have to share this recipe anyway-- it was SO GOOD and such a perfect fall recipe.

Roast Chicken Fall Style

1 whole chicken
1 bunch fresh thyme
3 parsnips
3 sweet potatoes
3 apples (I used Fuji and Winesap)

Preheat oven to 350.

Cut the fruit and veggies into chunks. Chop a couple of the thyme sprigs (if the stems are woody remove them). Toss fruit and veggies in olive oil, chopped thyme, salt, and pepper. Do this right in your roasting pan or Dutch oven.

Rub the chicken with salt, pepper, olive oil, and a little soft butter. Put it on top of the fruit and veggies. Stuff the rest of the thyme in the cavity of the chicken.

I was lazy tonight so I roasted the chicken breast up for the first half of the cooking time and breast down for the second half instead of doing my typical three turns. It turned out wonderfully, so this might be my new method. Cooking time will depend on how big your chicken is and how cold it is when it goes into the oven. I roasted mine for about an hour and 45 and it was cooked but still really juicy. The apples were incredible with the chicken!

1 comment:

  1. Did I offend you with my roast chicken? No need to announce that you're NOT following me.

    ReplyDelete